Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Always wear underwear

The day after receiving the "Semper ubi sub ubi" email I was walking in the hall at work and passed the Master Warrant Officer (MWO) who had forwarded it to me. Remembering the email, I blurted out "Always wear underwear?"

From the MWO's reaction it was clear that in twenty-odd years in the military no one had ever started a conversation like that with her. She turned slowly and narrowly regarded me. "I beg your pardon?" she quietly asked. Kinda like the sound of a knife being drawn from its sheath.

I quickly reminded her of the email, and asked if she had noticed the Latin phrase at the bottom.

"Yes", she said, "But I didn't know what it meant". But I could see it dawning on her.

"It said 'Always wear underwear', and you forwarded it to everyone in the office."

"Well, that's inappropriate" she said, and she strode off.

The MWO told me later that she had confronted the person who originated the email. Apparently it was a running gag. Even the Padre used it. She warned him that she now had a person who could read Latin working with her.

Well, at least I can google Latin.

What made me laugh today...

Ok, actually this made Hudson and Evan laugh today. Jogchem has sort of a quirky site, but the bears are fun. It certainly helped Evan learn to move the mouse around.