Sunday, April 15, 2007

Music Animation Machine

First, while I'm not a fan of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor I'll send you here and watch the video, or as much of it as you can stand (watch to at least 2:50 when the fugue starts). The different colors represent different organ voices. Once you've come back we'll continue.

As a musician & mathematician, I enjoyed watching geometric patterns typical of Bach emerge as the piece progressed. The program that displays the graphics is called the Music Animation Machine (MAM) MIDI Player, and you can get it here. The program is simple but displays a variety of different displays on whatever MIDI music you can find (the site has links to lots). One very interesting format is where it displays different intervals as colored lines between the notes. Overall it is a novel way to study music.

What made me laugh today...

Why should you take two Baptists with you when you go fishing?
Because if you only take one, he'll drink all of your beer.