Eye Contact
I attended the first day of a two day seminar on "Leadership and Communication" at work. In order to get us comfortable communicating the facilitator had us do a couple of exercises. The first exercise was to keep eye contact with the person sitting next to you for thirty seconds. The second exercise involved getting up in front of everyone (sixteen people) and spending thirty seconds meeting the eyes of everyone in the room.
I had no problem doing this, but several of the ladies near me became very uncomfortable. During the first exercise the eyes of my partner (who works in my office) kept darting away from mine. The two other women at our table who were partnered together expressed similar feelings, saying that it seemed "rude". I have no idea if this is a gender thing, or a matter of self-esteem. I do know that after the first exercise the second exercise was much easier.
What are your feelings on this? I'd be interested in knowing. If you were told to stare for thirty seconds at someone you casually know, would you be able to do it?
What made me laugh today...
What was this guy thinking? Apparently, if you're going to join the Scottish army you have to learn to sit like a lady.

(Quit squinting, ladies!)
<< Home